From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ramfs - is it necessary ???
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 10:45:13
1 On Thursday 22 February 2007 01:45, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Thursday 22 February 2007, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
3 > > On Wednesday 21 February 2007, "pat" <pat@××××××××.org> wrote about
4 > > 'Re:
5 > >
6 > > [gentoo-user] ramfs - is it necessary ???':
7 >
8 > First, I think the OP is confused between ramfs and initramfs.Not quite
9 > the same thing...
10
11 Yeah, I hoped I cleared that up with my first reply.
12
13 > But the thread has become about initramfs so we'll stick with that
14
15 I think this is more what the OP was concerned about.
16
17 > And the OP should keep in mind that the initrd format was dumped many
18 > many kernel versions ago and these days we use initramfs,
19
20 I am fairly certain I was still using my custom initrd (not an initramfs)
21 until 2.6.17 -- I'm fairly sure 2.6.20 still *supports* initrd format, even
22 if initramfs is preferred now.
23
24 For the life of me, I always found it easier to get an initrd working
25 rather
26 than an initramfs -- the whole chroot/exec vs. pivot_root vs. switch_root
27 step always failed for me when using an initramfs (and the very same shell
28 script worked as an initrd). Also, a script-made initrd is still just a
29 compressed filesystem, easy to deal with, but a script-made initramfs
30 (particularly one made by genkernel) is not just a cpio archive, it's a
31 series of them separated by some !!!!KERNEL_MAGIC!!!! strings in the middle
32 of binary data -- nearly impossible to work with using standard tools.
33
34 At least, that's been my experience, others may have found the process
35 easier.
38 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
39 bss03@××××××××××.net ((_/)o o(\_))
40 ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy `-'(. .)`-'
41 http://iguanasuicide.org/ \_/
42 New GPG Key! Old key expires 2007-03-25. Upgrade NOW!