From: Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: htop wants cgroups
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2017 20:20:22
1 Am Sun, 30 Apr 2017 10:33:05 -0700
2 schrieb Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@×××××.com>:
3
4 > > It allows portage to properly shut down remaining processes from
5 > > ebuild build phases by knowing exactly which processes have been
6 > > spawn in the compile phase, and it allows openrc to better manage
7 > > the processes and proper shut down any processes belonging to a
8 > > service.
9 >
10 > I understand that, in principle. In practice, sshd works fine without
11 > it, for example. And portage doesn't have a cgroups related USE
12 > variable. Doesn't mean I won't find a need for it, someday.
13
14 It does have such a FEATURE in make.conf and it's used to better manage
15 run-away processes from build phases.
16
17 > > Also you may benefit from setting resource limits and fair resource
18 > > sharing for a group of processes where ulimit applies only to single
19 > > processes and doesn't know about resource shares at all.
20 > >
21 > > Overall, it makes sense to have it.
22 >
23 > It makes sense that the kernel has it. Should it be enabled? For a
24 > server, probably. For a single-user workstation? Maybe.
25
26 Maybe I don't have the ordinary workstation, but I use it to limit
27 memory of sometimes-run-away services (memory-wise) and to control
28 resource usage of container machines I'm using during development.
29 Probably not the ordinary use-case...
33 Regards,
34 Kai
35
36 Replies to list-only preferred.