From: Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: htop wants cgroups
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2017 17:33:34
1 On Sun, Apr 30, 2017 at 9:40 AM, Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Am Sun, 30 Apr 2017 09:26:16 -0700
3 > schrieb Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@×××××.com>:
6 > Well, it says "should be" enabled. It's not a requirement. You may not
7 > use some of htop's features like proper process grouping.
8
9 Yes, and the emerge finished withou error. But the language of the
10 warning suggests that nasty things would happen to such people as
11 would fail to comply.
16 > I would be interested in why you wouldn't want to use cgroups.
17
18 cgroups is NOT a pet hate of mine. I'll enable it if there is a good
19 reason. But I dislike enabling stuff when I don't understand the need
20 (and words like "correct" and "should" don't really help, and make me
21 think of FUD).
22
23 Besides
24 > being a requirement for systemd, it also has very valid use cases for
25
26 This is the well-known reason to enable cgroups. I don't use systemd.
27
28 > other software you probably use:
29 >
30 > It allows portage to properly shut down remaining processes from ebuild
31 > build phases by knowing exactly which processes have been spawn in the
32 > compile phase, and it allows openrc to better manage the processes and
33 > proper shut down any processes belonging to a service.
34
35 I understand that, in principle. In practice, sshd works fine without
36 it, for example. And portage doesn't have a cgroups related USE
37 variable. Doesn't mean I won't find a need for it, someday.
43 > Also you may benefit from setting resource limits and fair resource
44 > sharing for a group of processes where ulimit applies only to single
45 > processes and doesn't know about resource shares at all.
46 >
47 > Overall, it makes sense to have it.
48
49 It makes sense that the kernel has it. Should it be enabled? For a
50 server, probably. For a single-user workstation? Maybe.
51
52 I just think this kind of stuff shouldn't be pushed unless really
53 necessary, in which case the Gentoo handbook probably would say so.
54
55 (Your mail contributes to clarify the reasons why one might want to use it.)
56
57 Regards
58
59 Jorge