From: Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: htop wants cgroups
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2017 16:40:33
1 Am Sun, 30 Apr 2017 09:26:16 -0700
2 schrieb Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@×××××.com>:
3
4 > Why?
5 >
6 > emerging htop yields this message:
7 > * CONFIG_CGROUPS: is not set when it should be.
8 > * Please check to make sure these options are set correctly.
9 > * Failure to do so may cause unexpected problems.
12 > Gee, I can use top without cgroups support. I thought I might use htop
13 > as well. Anyone knows why I _should_ use a kernel with cgroups
14 > support? Just curious, not a big deal. I can do without htop if I
15 > must.
16
17 Well, it says "should be" enabled. It's not a requirement. You may not
18 use some of htop's features like proper process grouping.
19
20 > (I'm not suggesting that cgroups doesn't have valid use cases. But a
21 > graphic version of top? Really? Please help me to understand. I want
22 > to do the _correct_ thing, and I wouldn't want my dog to die for lack
23 > of cgroups support.)
24
25 I would be interested in why you wouldn't want to use cgroups. Besides
26 being a requirement for systemd, it also has very valid use cases for
27 other software you probably use:
28
29 It allows portage to properly shut down remaining processes from ebuild
30 build phases by knowing exactly which processes have been spawn in the
31 compile phase, and it allows openrc to better manage the processes and
32 proper shut down any processes belonging to a service.
33
34 Also you may benefit from setting resource limits and fair resource
35 sharing for a group of processes where ulimit applies only to single
36 processes and doesn't know about resource shares at all.
37
38 Overall, it makes sense to have it.
42 Regards,
43 Kai