From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: MBR partition
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2014 12:53:53
1 James wrote:
2 > Joseph <syscon780 <at> gmail.com> writes:
5 >> I'm configuring MBR partition for older disk and need to know what code
6 >> to enter for boot partition. My BIOS is not EFI type.
7 >
8 > Just to ensure that you have made your decisions based on good information,
9 > I wanted to clarify something about bios. Vendors often release newer or
10 > updated bios codes very spedicfic to a particular motherboard. These updated
11 > bios offerings, if they exist, may or many not allow you to boot and use GPT
12 > (EFI) etc.
13 >
14 > Neil pointed out an option I'm not familiar with. Another option is to use
15 > linuxbios (now called coreboot)[1]. If you do decide to try coreboot
16 > to upgrade your bios, do your own research and find out if it is a valid
17 > (possible) solution for you [2].
18 >
19 > I mention this to complete and clarify the information I gave you, as
20 > best as I can. Coreboot is an excellent project that is 'good to know'
21 > knowledge, even if you choose otherwise.
24 > James
25 >
26 > [1] http://www.coreboot.org/Welcome_to_coreboot
27 >
28 > [2] http://www.coreboot.org/Supported_Motherboards
31 If I might add this, some newer mobos don't even need a OS at all. On
32 my Gigabyte, I hit the power button, then one of the function keys and
33 have the new BIOS file on a USB stick. It sees the file, installs it
34 and it reboots from there. I've only done it once that I recall but I
35 do recall it didn't require any OS at all. I don't know if this is a
36 option for the OP tho.
37
38 Dale
39