From: Eric Martin <freak4uxxx@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT]UPS battery dead?
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 17:58:44
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 10:31 AM, maxim wexler <blissfix@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>> Unplug all your electronic devices and plug in a lamp with
6 >>> a 100 Watt
7 >>> incandescent light build. With the lamp on unplug the UPS
8 >>> from the
9 >>> wall and see what happens. If the battery is dead it won't
10 >>> last all
11 >>> that long.
12 >>>
13 >> Gave ~5 mins. So I let it charge for 24 hrs now it gives me 36 mins. Which is wierd; what happened to all that charge? I haven't had to use it for 6-7 mons. Isn't the unit supposed to stay topped-up?
16 > Well, assuming it was a 100 Watt incandescent that really draws 100
17 > Watts, then that's probably 1/2 to 1/3 the draw of a typical desktop
18 > PC implying you would get 12-18 minutes before shutdown. (Really rough
19 > ideas - just numbers, etc. Don't take it too seriously.)
22 snip
23 >> Another thing: When I do the remove-the-usb-cable test I don't see the "communication lost" error in apcupsd.events until I switch the dial-up off and on quickly!
24 >>
25 >> In the conf file I have DEVICE: /dev/ttyS[0-3] because the default, /dev/ttyS0, locks out the modem. But why does the UPS need to know about serial ports? It connects by this funny RJ-45/USB cable. I wonder does the manufacturer assume the serial port won't be used?
28 > Strange stuff but above my pay grade...
29 >
30 > - Mark
34 It's not supposed to say DEVICE /dev/ttyS0 for USB, it should just be
35 blank as per /etc/apcupsd/apcupsd.conf