From: Trenton Adams <trenton.d.adams@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Portage Storage using SVN
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 23:44:23
1 On 7/23/06, Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de> wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 02:42:43 -0600
5 > "Trenton Adams" <trenton.d.adams@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >
7 > > I proposed this awhile back, and got shot down. At the time, the
8 > > arguments for using SVN for portage storage were pretty shallow, and
9 > > someone was able to easily shoot them down. I believe I have come up
10 > > with better reasoning for using SVN. Someone may still shoot them
11 > > down, but hey, it's worth a try.
12 >
13 > #1:
14 > You're aware that there's a CVS for portage, aren't you? I'm still not
15 > quite sure if you are suggesting using SVN for the portage mirrors and
16 > if you are suggesting that users also have a full SVN history on the
17 > clients, too?
18
19 No, not a full history, just a tag history.
22 > > PROBLEM 1
23 > > [...]
24 > > PROBLEM 2
25 > > [...]
26 > > PROBLEM 3
27 > > [...]
28 >
29 > Well, are those really problems at all? I mean, isn't it easy to
30 > overcome them? Is it worth dedicating time and work into that svn thing?
31
32 I'm not sure, is it? Is there scripts already out there to overcome
33 the problems suggested? If there are, I would sure appreciate knowing
34 about them. :)
35
36 It could be a lack of my understanding how the portage downgrade
37 process works. But if you downgrade a package, will it downgrade all
38 the packages depending on that version as well?
41 > > POTENTIAL ISSUES
42 > > Now, I'm not entirely sure of the performance implications of
43 > > subversion for this purpose. So, that would definitely have to either
44 > > be tested, or someone would have to talk with the subversion folks to
45 > > know if it would be a problem for thousands of users to access
46 > > subversion in readonly mode.
47 >
48 > Well, of course! There's definately a reason to use rsync.
49 >
50 > > It would certainly be annoying for a
51 > > developer to go "svn commit", and have to wait for half an hour
52 > > because everyone else is updating their local copies. But, that could
53 > > be solved by mirrors only getting updated once every day, at 12
54 > > midnight.
55 >
56 > Oh, yeah. Your midnight, my midnight? It would definately be annoying
57 > to make a small glitch and have to wait >24hrs until the fix for that
58 > gets promoted. The "problem" you mentioned that at some points there
59 > are slightly errorneous ebuilds in portage or minor inconsistencies can
60 > only be fixed by promoting updates fast.
61
62 That's true, and I suppose that's not quite as good as what exists
63 right now. But does gentoo really have less than 24 hour bug fix turn
64 arounds?
65 --
66 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list