From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Portage Storage using SVN
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 11:41:52
1 Hi,
2
3 On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 02:42:43 -0600
4 "Trenton Adams" <trenton.d.adams@×××××.com> wrote:
5
6 > I proposed this awhile back, and got shot down. At the time, the
7 > arguments for using SVN for portage storage were pretty shallow, and
8 > someone was able to easily shoot them down. I believe I have come up
9 > with better reasoning for using SVN. Someone may still shoot them
10 > down, but hey, it's worth a try.
11
12 #1:
13 You're aware that there's a CVS for portage, aren't you? I'm still not
14 quite sure if you are suggesting using SVN for the portage mirrors and
15 if you are suggesting that users also have a full SVN history on the
16 clients, too?
17
18 > PROBLEM 1
19 > [...]
20 > PROBLEM 2
21 > [...]
22 > PROBLEM 3
23 > [...]
24
25 Well, are those really problems at all? I mean, isn't it easy to
26 overcome them? Is it worth dedicating time and work into that svn thing?
27
28 > POTENTIAL ISSUES
29 > Now, I'm not entirely sure of the performance implications of
30 > subversion for this purpose. So, that would definitely have to either
31 > be tested, or someone would have to talk with the subversion folks to
32 > know if it would be a problem for thousands of users to access
33 > subversion in readonly mode.
34
35 Well, of course! There's definately a reason to use rsync.
36
37 > It would certainly be annoying for a
38 > developer to go "svn commit", and have to wait for half an hour
39 > because everyone else is updating their local copies. But, that could
40 > be solved by mirrors only getting updated once every day, at 12
41 > midnight.
42
43 Oh, yeah. Your midnight, my midnight? It would definately be annoying
44 to make a small glitch and have to wait >24hrs until the fix for that
45 gets promoted. The "problem" you mentioned that at some points there
46 are slightly errorneous ebuilds in portage or minor inconsistencies can
47 only be fixed by promoting updates fast.
48
49 The solution you propose costs a lot of CPU power, even more storage on
50 the mirrors and lacks some positive aspects that the current solution
51 has. Take a look at e.g. the major BSDs ports and package systems. They
52 certainly have similar problems.
53
54 OK, looking at the BSDs, I like the feature that there are branches
55 with the aim to build a package tree that is as consistent as possible.
56 That would be a plus. But that would imply a lot of work and a change
57 in ebuild maintainance. I don't see this coming soon for Gentoo.
58
59 -hwh
60 --
61 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list