From: "Friedrich Göpel" <shado23@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Why ity has to be so frustrating !!!
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 09:51:53
1 On 6/26/06, Catalin Trifu <catalin@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
2 > Why not use software RAID ? You don't necessarily need
3 > the hardware RAID and as far as I know software RAID works just as
4 > fine as the hardware RAID.
7 Hi,
8 Well, usually hardware raid is much better, at least if you want
9 raid5/6, for raid 0 or 1 it is not such a big difference, but all of
10 these on board raid chips are not hardware raid at all (fakeraid), you
11 just have less influence/clue on what it's doing.
12
13 The only reason to do this would be if you want to be able to read
14 these partitions from windows.
15 If you don't need this it's much better to just use the tried and
16 trusted linux software raid, I did the same on my nforce4 board.
17 It's quite easy actually, and you don't need an initrd at all.
18
19 These might be of help, if you decide to go that route:
20 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-tipsntricks.xml#software-raid
21 http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Install_on_Software_RAID
22 --
23 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list