From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] USB random disconnections in VB Win10 VM
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2022 17:42:29
1 Does anyone have experience with what causes random USB disconnects in a
2 Virtualbox VM and possibly how to fix them?
3
4 I have a new external DSP processor box that connects to Windows host
5 software over USB. If I dual boot my Linux box into Win10 the control
6 software works fine for as long as I want to use it. Communication is
7 bi-directional and everything is great.
8
9 If instead I'm in Linux with a Win10 VM running I can run the same software
10 in the VM, and it will always see the external DSP when first started, but
11 at random times, generally 5-20 seconds but never more than 5 minutes, the
12 software will tell me the USB connection has been interrupted and I am
13 forced in the software to reestablish a connection. I am always able to
14 reconnect but I am so far unable to keep it connected.
15
16 I've tried the VB USB 1.1, 2.0 and 3.0 virtual interfaces. Only 3.0 works
17 at all.
18
19 I have tried multiple USB ports on the host machine. All work in native
20 Windows. All work in Virtualbox but all disconnect.
21
22 I see absolutely no messages of any type about USB disconnection in dmesg.
23 I don't know where else to look.
24
25 The Virtualbox logs aren't clear to me so I'm studying those at this time,
26 as well as asking in the VIrtualbox forums and here.
27
28 Thanks in advance,
29 Mark