From: damian <damian.only@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Update the clock using internet servers: recommendations
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 19:00:50
1 > So yes, there is a difference. With htpdate, you synchronize against a _web_
2 > server. How do you know it has a stable time source? OTOH, with ntp you
3 > synchronize against a specialized network _time_ server which is usually
4 > equiped with an accurate time souce*), using a protocol that was specifically
5 > desigend for that purpose (for example the time is adjusted without jumps),
6 > see http://www.ntp.org/ for all the details.
7 Thank you so much for the comparison Dirk. I did't take that aspect
8 into account (I was concern about performance issues only, not
9 correctness). So I guess for the moment I will keep using htpdate, and
10 when I find the time I will switch to some ntp client. Actually, so
11 far I haven't had problems with htpdate, but I guess in this case
12 there's no harm in being paranoic.
13
14 Thanks everybody for your help.
15