From: Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Update the clock using internet servers: recommendations
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 18:41:08
1 Am Dienstag, 25. November 2008 16:38:00 schrieb damian:
2 > > I agree. I been using ntp here and it works fine. If you need help
3 > > configuring it, let me know. Off list if needed, just put Gentoo in the
4 > > subject line.
5 >
6 > Ok, thanks Dale. But I can you tell me if there is any difference
7 > among ntp and htpdate?
8
9 Hmm, I first thought this was a typo of yours (which should have been
10 ntpdate), but then you did it again, so I asked Google. From htpdate's man
11 page:
12
13 "The HTTP Time Protocol (HTP) is used to synchronize a computer's time with
14 web servers as reference time source. Htp will synchronize your computer's
15 time to Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) via HTTP headers from web servers. The
16 htpdate package includes a program for retrieving the date and time from
17 remote machines via a network. Htpdate works through proxy servers. Accuracy
18 of htpdate will be usually within 0.5 seconds (better with multiple servers).
19 If this is not good enough for you, try the ntpd package."
20
21 So yes, there is a difference. With htpdate, you synchronize against a _web_
22 server. How do you know it has a stable time source? OTOH, with ntp you
23 synchronize against a specialized network _time_ server which is usually
24 equiped with an accurate time souce*), using a protocol that was specifically
25 desigend for that purpose (for example the time is adjusted without jumps),
26 see http://www.ntp.org/ for all the details.
27
28 HTH...
29
30 Dirk
31
32 *) As an example ptbtime1.ptb.de, hosted by the "Physikalisch-Technische
33 Bundesanstalt" in germany is a so called stratum1 time server which is
34 connected to the most accurate clock on earth, which provides the official
35 time for germany.