From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Update the clock using internet servers: recommendations
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 21:12:00
1 On Tuesday 25 November 2008 20:40:52 Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
2 > So yes, there is a difference. With htpdate, you synchronize against a
3 > _web_ server. How do you know it has a stable time source? OTOH, with ntp
4 > you synchronize against a specialized network _time_ server which is
5 > usually equiped with an accurate time souce*), using a protocol that was
6 > specifically desigend for that purpose (for example the time is adjusted
7 > without jumps), see http://www.ntp.org/ for all the details.
8
9 > *) As an example ptbtime1.ptb.de, hosted by the "Physikalisch-Technische
10 > Bundesanstalt" in germany is a so called stratum1 time server which is
11 > connected to the most accurate clock on earth, which provides the official
12 > time for germany.
13
14 An interesting sidenote on this. I work for a tier 1 carrier in my country and
15 right now we are replacing our ntp server. I don't work with this stuff every
16 day so I was most surprised to find that the new unit is actually a GPS
17 device and will no longer sync to the stratum 1 server run by our Scientific
18 Research Council. Apparently, this is good enough for ISP/internet purposes
19 for all practical intents and purposes.
22 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com