From: microcai <microcai@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new machine : DVD drive
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 14:37:28
1 2012/8/20 Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>:
2 > Apologies for the elementary questions, but I'm a bit slow to change (smile).
3 >
4 > In designing my new machine, I assumed that I would simply transfer
5 > the CD drive from the existing box to the new one,
6 > but (1) the new mobo seems to have only SATA sockets
7 > & (2) CD drives seem to be going the same way as diskette drives,
8 > so I'm now planning to buy a new DVD drive & to start using DVDs.
9 > I wb using them only for back-ups, not playing music or videos.
10 >
11 > This looks like a good enough item :
12 > ASUS DRW-24B1ST 24x SATA Black R 48x W 8x OEM : CAD 24,99
13 >
14 > Can anyone answer a few rather basic questions ?
15 > (1) do I need to configure the kernel to find the drive ?
16
17 NO. just enable packet write and SCSI_CDROM
21 > (2) what software do Gentoo users use to read/write DVDs ?
22
23 k3b is a good one
24
25 > (3) are there rewritable DVDs, as there used to be rewritable CDs ?
26
27 sure
28
29 > -- among the specs are much slower speeds labelled 'RW'.
30 > (4) anything else I sb aware of ?
31 >
32 > --
34 > SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
35 > ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
36 > TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca