From: Mark Shields <laebshade@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What's the position on Chrony?
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 14:20:17
1 On Jan 27, 2008 5:53 AM, Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org> wrote:
2
3 > I want to run chrony on my servers for their smooth correction of system
4 > time. I have a few questions, however.
5 >
6 > 1. Is chrony accurate on P4 and AMD chips? Is it really a useful
7 > improvement
8 > on ntpd? I remember from a few years ago that its developer used to have
10 > change his code every time a new CPU chip appeared.
11 >
12 > 2. Chrony doesn't like other programs interfering with its own
13 > control of
14 > the clock, so I want to remove both ntpd and clock from the startup
15 > process. This seems to cause a problem:
16 >
17 > 3. How do I substitute chrony for ntp in gentoo's startup scripts? I
18 > can
19 > remove ntpd easily enough, but if I rc-update del clock it gets put back
20 > into the boot run-level on shutting down. If I then move /etc/init.d/clock
21 > out of the way and just touch a blank file in its place, I get this:
22 >
23 > $ sudo /etc/init.d/chronyd restart
24 > * Caching service dependencies ...
25 > * Can't find service 'clock' needed by 'syslog-ng'; continuing...
26 > [ ok ]
27 > * Stopping chronyd ...
28 > [ ok ]
29 > * Starting chronyd ...
30 > [ ok ]
31 >
32 > It looks as though the baselayout team are assuming too much; or should I
33 > just give in and revert to clock and ntpd? Perhaps it just isn't suitable
34 > for Gentoo - it wouldn't be the first time that an ebuild had appeared for
35 > a new package before it was ready.
36 >
37 > --
38 > Rgds
39 > Peter
40 > --
41 > gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list
44 If you truly don't need clock, you can try modifying the syslog-ng init file
45 to not require it.
46
47 grep -i clock /etc/init.d/syslog-ng --context 2 -n
48 16- # kludge for baselayout-1 compatibility
49 17- [ -z "${svclib}" ] && config /etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf
50 18: need clock hostname localmount
51 19- provide logger
52 20-}
53
54 Remove the 'clock' word and it should let syslog-ng start.
58 - Mark Shields