From: Christoph Eckert <ce@×××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] alsa strangeness...
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 22:12:33
1 > when I open alsamixer I can adjust the levels and
2 > everything. What could this be? Any ideas?
3
4 I guess everything is fine with your setup but your mixer
5 isn't set properly.
6
7 * Your card has a monitor. Incoming signals are routed back to
8 the outputs immediately. This means that the incoming data
9 never left your soundcard towords your CPU!!!
10
11 * If you want to record (especially with JACK) you do not want
12 this kind of hardware monitor. So switch it off in ALSAmixer
13
14 * Now ensure that your recording environment catches the audio
15 input (this means unmuting and levelling the inports) and
16 process it the right way. If you're using JACK maybe you want
17 to use
18 meterbridge -n meterbridge -t dpm alsa_pcm:capture_1
19 alsa_pcm:capture_2
20 to monitor and level the incoming signal before recording it
21 with qarecord or ardour
24 Best regards
27 ce
30 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list