From: Michal 'vorner' Vaner <vorner@×××.cz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] xdm login problems after recent emerge
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2008 16:57:28
1 Hello
2
3 On Tue, Jan 01, 2008 at 03:29:25PM +0000, Mick wrote:
4 > I stopped/zapped xdm, ran startx and from an xterm I was able to run fluxbox
5 > which started OK. So, I am not sure if you are right that the start up
6 > script crashes (I wonder, shouldn't I see something in the logs about it?)
7 > If it crashed wouldn't it also crash when called from within an xterm? When
8 > I ran etc-update I had to update a number of scripts (some of them were
9 > trivial - automerged) and some of them were related to halt.sh, and so on,
10 > but I cannot recall any xdm related scripts. Is there an etc-update history
11 > somewhere on my machine?
12
13 I didn't mean the xdm script (which, obviously, works fine), but the
14 script started when you log in. The one in sessions is probably the one.
15
16 Actually, how it works: xdm starts X and shows the login screen. When
17 you log in, it starts something on the X server. When the something
18 stops (for any reason), xdm restarts X and shows the login screen again.
19
20 So I think the thing started by xdm terminates too early for some
21 reason, crash was the first idea I got. All this is just a guess, how it
22 looks to me, I do not say it is the only possible cause (crashing X
23 could be the cause too, and xdm would just restart it).
26 Support your right to arm bears!!
27
28 Michal 'vorner' Vaner