From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] xdm login problems after recent emerge
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2008 15:36:42
1 On Tuesday 01 January 2008, Michal 'vorner' Vaner wrote:
2 > Hello
3 >
4 > On Tue, Jan 01, 2008 at 10:48:52AM +0000, Mick wrote:
5 > > Happy New Year to all!
6 > >
7 > > I find my self in a bit of a pickle after a recent emerge. When I
8 > > enter my username+passwd at the xdm login screen it sort of tries to
9 > > load up fluxbox, but within a second or so it returns to the login
10 > > screen. I can't see anything worth mentioning in the logs. I have
11 > > downgraded baselayout, sysvinit and freetype but the problem remains.
12 > > Any ideas? These are the packages emerged recently:
13 >
14 > This sounds to me like the fluxbox starter (I'm not sure if fluxbox by
15 > itself or some script that starts it with one or two other programs)
16 > crashes. Did you try running revdep-rebuild?
17
18 Thanks, I am running it now. It only wants to remerge:
19
20 All prepared. Starting rebuild...
21 emerge --oneshot -v =media-video/ffmpeg-0.4.9_p20070616
22 =media-libs/libquicktime-1.0.1 =media-libs/xine-lib-1.1.8
23
24 I believe this is because of the media-libs/x264-svn-20070924 emerged package.
25
26 > And, if you want to experiment, you can start X from vt, lets say:
27 >
28 > X :1.0 (on :0.0, it is already running with xdm)
29 >
30 > then switch back to vt (probably different one) and start an xterm
31 >
32 > DISPLAY=:1.0 xterm
33 >
34 > then switch back to your new X (ctrl+f8 -- f7 is the xdm one) and try
35 > starting fluxbox from the xterm to see what happens.
36 >
37 > Did it help?
38
39 I stopped/zapped xdm, ran startx and from an xterm I was able to run fluxbox
40 which started OK. So, I am not sure if you are right that the start up
41 script crashes (I wonder, shouldn't I see something in the logs about it?)
42 If it crashed wouldn't it also crash when called from within an xterm? When
43 I ran etc-update I had to update a number of scripts (some of them were
44 trivial - automerged) and some of them were related to halt.sh, and so on,
45 but I cannot recall any xdm related scripts. Is there an etc-update history
46 somewhere on my machine?
47
48 BTW, this is what I have under /etc/X11/Sessions/fluxbox:
50 eval "$(gpg-agent --daemon)"
51 /usr/bin/startfluxbox
52 kill `echo ${GPG_AGENT_INFO} | cut -d ':' -f 2`
54
55 Thank you very much for your help!
56 --
57 Regards,