From: "Poison BL." <poisonbl@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] low risk network bridge
Date: Wed, 06 May 2015 21:14:31
1 On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 3:59 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@×××××.at> wrote:
4 > My task is to enable a (remote) server to run VMs via qemu/KVM.
5 >
6 > The server is configured to set up its eth0 via openrc but this isn't
7 > enough to run the VMs network.
8 >
9 > I tried macvtap but something didn't work, either libvirt (yes, with
10 > USE-flag "macvtap") or something else (the kernel supports mavtap).
11 >
12 > So bridging.
13 >
14 > I'd like to keep the risk of losing connectivity as low as possible ... I
15 > can visit the place in a few weeks to iron out things but I would like to
16 > set up a bridge now without failure, just to get that VM running asap.
17 >
18 > Could anyone advise me in doing this?
19 >
20 > I have only ssh-access now ... its openrc-driven, and I might use a second
21 > IPv4-IP if that helps ...
22 >
23 > anyone?
24 >
25 > (editing the conf.d-files to remove eth0 and setup br0 is too scary right
26 > now. One mistake and the box is offline)
29 If you need the VMs outwardly visible, I can't think of a way to do it
30 without losing connection upon switching to the bridge (granted, I'm far
31 from an expert on bridging under linux). If you're fine with the VMs being
32 behind a NAT, and your kernel has the support for it, add the vm interfaces
33 to a bridge, enable net.ipv4.ip_forward and set up the NAT like any other
34 dual homed linux router... iptables-apply being your best friend for
35 testing changes without permanently losing access and/or having to reboot
36 to restore access.
39 Joshua M. Murphy