From: Teresa and Dale <teendale@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] etc-update
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 17:18:59
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2
3 >On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 10:59:09 -0500, Teresa and Dale wrote:
7 >>>I don't see why use other tool. Etc-update works great...
8 >>>I've been using it since my first Gentoo install 2 years ago and never
9 >>>needed (neither bothered looking for) this other tools you mentioned.
10 >>>
11 >>>
12 >
13 >If you haven't tried them, you can't know whether they are better or not.
17 >>I have tried the other tools and they are not any better. The biggest
18 >>thing, no matter what tool you use, is to be VERY careful what you
19 >>update. For me, about 95% of the stuff is fine but that 5% can keel you
20 >>or make you wish you were dead. O_O
24 >This alone makes dispatch-conf worthwhile, because you can roll back any
25 >changes it makes.
31 Well, I make backups of etc anyway. I just copy it to old-etc and keep
32 it lying around. I ran into a blank inittab once and even dispatch-conf
33 wouldn't have saved me there. I don't think it was a update, just got
34 erased somehow. I'm not sure how that happened either cause I don't
35 even look at that one. I just recognized what it was doing and that it
36 was blank.
37
38 I also seem to recall that dispatch-conf didn't keep back-ups on mine.
39 I had the directory but it was always empty even after a lot of
40 updates. You know of any reason for that?
41
42 Thanks
43
44 Dale