From: "Jörg Schaible" <joerg.schaible@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: Changing boot device with 2.6.36
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2011 09:44:21
1 Hi Stroller,
2
3 Stroller wrote:
6 > On 3/1/2011, at 7:36pm, Jörg Schaible wrote:
7 >> ...
8 >> And how does this help the kernel to find the root device where
9 >> /etc/fstab is located ?
10 >
11 > The kernel doesn't. You leave that to GRUB.
12 >
13 > I'm not saying this helps solve your problem, I'm just sayin'.
14 >
15 >> BTW: Yes, I will boot next time with a LABEL entry in the kernels boot
16 >> option, but I still don't want a kernel that assigns devices in random
17 >> order.
18 >
19 > As long as you can boot, you should seriously stop caring.
20
21 That's it: I cannot! At least not always.
22
23 > If you're concerned about mounting USB sticks or memory cards then use
24 > udev rules to distinguish them.
25 >
26 > Regarding the booting, and having to change what's in your grub.conf, I'd
27 > assume this is a one-off change - you'll change grub.conf to point to the
28 > new /dev/sdX and that will require no maintenance in the forseeable
29 > future.
30
31 But that's the point: What is X? It is constantly changing with 2.6.36!
32
33 > GRUB can do labels, but it needs an initrd or initramfs, I think.
34
35 I could not get that working until now ...
36
37 - Jörg