From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Changing boot device with 2.6.36
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2011 21:10:31
1 On 3/1/2011, at 7:36pm, Jörg Schaible wrote:
2 > ...
3 > And how does this help the kernel to find the root device where /etc/fstab
4 > is located ?
5
6 The kernel doesn't. You leave that to GRUB.
7
8 I'm not saying this helps solve your problem, I'm just sayin'.
9
10 > BTW: Yes, I will boot next time with a LABEL entry in the kernels boot
11 > option, but I still don't want a kernel that assigns devices in random
12 > order.
13
14 As long as you can boot, you should seriously stop caring.
15
16 If you're concerned about mounting USB sticks or memory cards then use udev rules to distinguish them.
17
18 Regarding the booting, and having to change what's in your grub.conf, I'd assume this is a one-off change - you'll change grub.conf to point to the new /dev/sdX and that will require no maintenance in the forseeable future.
19
20 GRUB can do labels, but it needs an initrd or initramfs, I think.
21
22 Stroller.