From: "Jörg Schaible" <joerg.schaible@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Changing boot device with 2.6.36
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2011 19:38:27
1 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2
3 > On 01/03/2011 07:43 PM, Jörg Schaible wrote:
4 >> Hi,
5 >>
6 >> starting with the 2.6.36-r5 kernel of the Gentoo sources my boot device
7 >> changes. With 2.6.35 and below it is alway /dev/sda3, with the new kernel
8 >> it seems that anything that is internally connected with USB is assigned
9 >> a device first. Since my computer has an internal media bay (and my
10 >> monitor has such a thing also) the first HD moves - it I take care it is
11 >> now /dev/sde3. However, if I forget to switch on the monitor and do this
12 >> later or if an USB stick is already plugged in at boot time, the HD gets
13 >> a different device number again.
14 >>
15 >> Can somebody else confirm such a behaviour with the 2.6.36 kernel and how
16 >> can this brought back to normal operation?
17 >
18 > This has been solved long ago: Label your filesystems and mount them by
19 > label.
20
21 I did this long ago, therefore I can switch between the old and new kernel
22 easily.
23
24 > For example, don't put "/dev/sda3" in your fstab, but label that
25 > filesystem with a name like "root_fs" and use
26 > "/dev/disk/by-label/root_fs" in fstab.
27 >
28 > Ext2/3/4 filesystem can be labeled with the "e2label" tool. For example:
29 >
30 > e2label /dev/sda3 root_fs
31 >
32 > After that, modify your fstab accordingly.
33
34 And how does this help the kernel to find the root device where /etc/fstab
35 is located ?
36
37 - Jörg
38
39 BTW: Yes, I will boot next time with a LABEL entry in the kernels boot
40 option, but I still don't want a kernel that assigns devices in random
41 order.