From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Changing boot device with 2.6.36
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2011 18:19:51
1 On 01/03/2011 07:43 PM, Jörg Schaible wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > starting with the 2.6.36-r5 kernel of the Gentoo sources my boot device
5 > changes. With 2.6.35 and below it is alway /dev/sda3, with the new kernel it
6 > seems that anything that is internally connected with USB is assigned a
7 > device first. Since my computer has an internal media bay (and my monitor
8 > has such a thing also) the first HD moves - it I take care it is now
9 > /dev/sde3. However, if I forget to switch on the monitor and do this later
10 > or if an USB stick is already plugged in at boot time, the HD gets a
11 > different device number again.
12 >
13 > Can somebody else confirm such a behaviour with the 2.6.36 kernel and how
14 > can this brought back to normal operation?
15
16 This has been solved long ago: Label your filesystems and mount them by
17 label. For example, don't put "/dev/sda3" in your fstab, but label that
18 filesystem with a name like "root_fs" and use
19 "/dev/disk/by-label/root_fs" in fstab.
20
21 Ext2/3/4 filesystem can be labeled with the "e2label" tool. For example:
22
23 e2label /dev/sda3 root_fs
24
25 After that, modify your fstab accordingly.