From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: emerge world looking grim
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2015 14:47:21
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 Working thru all the guff with all you posters patient help would
4 probably have been the best but between posting and seeing answers
5 (suring the morning in the wee hours). I jumped stupid and starting
6 uninstalling some of the blockers.
7
8 So, I've made the mess considerably worse... maybe unsolvable since I
9 have no gcc now and so no way to grind out the builds.... plus other
10 truly boneheaded uninstalls that appear to have rendered my system
11 unusable .... just like the little warning says when you
12 gentoo -vC pkg ....... wheeeeee.
13
14 I'm pretty sure at this point... I best to get a re-install going.
15
16 Also it may help some of you posters to know that this install was not
17 fully developed and an in common use OS anyway....A reinstall will loose
18 nothing of any importance.
19
20 Whatever is there of importance would be in /home /etc/ and maybe /var
21 so I've rsynced them to my current Solaris desktop and will have any
22 needed files to use later after the reinstall has progressed to a
23 higher level.
24
25 Thank you all for the suggestions they are most instructive and my
26 notes from them should prove useful down the road.
27
28 PS - Its coming back to me how gentoo is installed with the stage3 and
29 portage downloads.
30
31 Again, thanks for your patience