From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge world looking grim
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2015 13:42:19
1 On 24/08/2015 15:17, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
2 > Hello, Harry,
3 >
4 > Long time, no see!
5 >
6 > On Sun, Aug 23, 2015 at 10:19:42PM -0400, Harry Putnam wrote:
7 >> My gentoo OS is running on Openindiana (solaris) inside oracle's vbox.
8 >
9 >> It's been left setting for at least 4-5 months maybe a couple more.
10 >
11 >> After eix-sync, attempting an `emerge vuND world' comes up with so
12 >> many blocks, use flag changes and a variety of other bad news in
13 >> such proliferation... I'm thinking better to install from scratch with
14 >> latest ISO.
15 >
16 > I know the feeling. When the same thing happened to me (my system got
17 > into a mess because I was running XFCE which was too dependent on
18 > gnome-2; when gnome-3 became stable, the demons of hades were let
19 > loose, and I tried a couple of times, half-heartedly, to update), I told
20 > myself to stop and think.
21 >
22 > I could spend days fighting with use flags and conflicts, or I could
23 > spend a few days reinstalling. In the end I reinstalled (using the old
24 > system (rather than an ISO image) to do the initial stages. It took me
25 > about a week, compared with about a month the first time I seriously
26 > installed Gentoo. "Installation" here means getting everything up and
27 > running, including X with destop manager, printing, sound, email server
28 > and client, ....
31 At first glance it does look like maybe a reinstall would be better. But
32 in this case, that's not true. Looking over the list of packages to be
33 updated, there are 3 general classes of things:
34
35 1. Regular updates
36 2. A whole whack of rebuilds
37 3. A perl upgrade from 5.20 to 5.22
38
39 #1 is routine. Press enter, and make does it's thing
40 #2 looks scary, but in the old days we'd have to do the updates then let
41 revdep-rebuild catch the inconsistencies, and rebuild those. Modern
42 portage has some magic code to fold everything into the main emerge
43 world step. So just press Enter and make does it's thing
44 #3 can be very confusing. With 5.22, upstream moved many Perl packages
45 into the core Perl codebase, so all such installed packages (and all of
46 us have many of them) need to uninstall perl-core/<package> and replace
47 it with virtual/perl-<package>. Portage normally deals with this
48 transparently, but the output can be a little too verbose sometimes, and
49 takes some decent brainpower to figure out what is really going on.
50
51 There's also some blockers in that list ([blocks b ]), but they are all
52 soft (lower case b) so portage should take those in it's stride and just
53 fix it with no intervention.
56 Harry's real problem as many have noted is that his gcc config is not
57 valid. But, portage can't tell him that. It started the merge, and
58 handed control over to the next app, which portage can't make sense of
59 as it all happened outside portage's control. Result: a wall of text on
60 the screen, right after the wall of text of 195 things to be rebuilt and
61 a huge list of stuff causing other stuff to be needed to be rebuilt!
62
63 I suppose those ebuilds that are sensitive to gcc versions could have a
64 check built in to check the version before starting and then print a
65 sane error message that portage CAN control and make sense of.
66
67 Either way, "gcc-config -l" is what Harry needs to run first, and make
68 his default compiler 4.7 or later. With that out of the way, emerge
69 should proceed normally apart from taking a while to get through it. He
70 might have perl issues afterwards and need to run perl-cleaner.
71
72 The real problem is how do I know all this, and Harry did spot it? Well,
73 building a source distro comes in at a much lower level than a binary
74 one, and it does take a good large dose of experience, knowledge and
75 plain old luck to figure out what is really going on. These days portage
76 is very good at doing the right thing (it still sucks at a human level
77 in it's output...) and today Harry just got really unlucky.
78
79 So yeah, reinstall is probably not the better option here.
83 Alan McKinnon
84 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com