From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge world looking grim
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2015 13:16:51
1 Hello, Harry,
2
3 Long time, no see!
4
5 On Sun, Aug 23, 2015 at 10:19:42PM -0400, Harry Putnam wrote:
6 > My gentoo OS is running on Openindiana (solaris) inside oracle's vbox.
7
8 > It's been left setting for at least 4-5 months maybe a couple more.
9
10 > After eix-sync, attempting an `emerge vuND world' comes up with so
11 > many blocks, use flag changes and a variety of other bad news in
12 > such proliferation... I'm thinking better to install from scratch with
13 > latest ISO.
14
15 I know the feeling. When the same thing happened to me (my system got
16 into a mess because I was running XFCE which was too dependent on
17 gnome-2; when gnome-3 became stable, the demons of hades were let
18 loose, and I tried a couple of times, half-heartedly, to update), I told
19 myself to stop and think.
20
21 I could spend days fighting with use flags and conflicts, or I could
22 spend a few days reinstalling. In the end I reinstalled (using the old
23 system (rather than an ISO image) to do the initial stages. It took me
24 about a week, compared with about a month the first time I seriously
25 installed Gentoo. "Installation" here means getting everything up and
26 running, including X with destop manager, printing, sound, email server
27 and client, ....
28
29 > ,----
30 > | NOTE: The full mess can be viewed here:
31 > |
32 > | zeus.jtan.com/~reader/vutxt/images/emerge_MassiveFailure-150823.txt
33 > `----
34
35 > I've been quite a long time gentoo user but last 2+ yrs only very
36 > lightly.
37
38 > I'm awful dumb for someone who has problably more than 15 yrs running
39 > gentoo.
40
41 I doubt that! But if I were only using Gentoo lightly for an extended
42 period, I'd forget a _lot_.
43
44 > I wondered if there are some very new ISO's that would contain all
45 > major changes in last year or so once I got the core installed and key
46 > useflags/make.conf setup?
47
48 That's not the way Gentoo works - (what was that I was saying about
49 forgetting things?). The Gentoo ISO is really just an installation
50 environment to boot up into, one with enough power for you to be able to
51 download and install a stage 3 into which you reboot, then really get
52 going with configuring the system, and installing further stuff, etc.
53 All the new stuff from the last few months is in portage (which you get
54 with $ emerge --sync, and so on).
55
56 > Can anyone advise me which iso to use? And which profile to set for
57 > general use in a vbox, hopefully to allow a `no sweat' emerge to a
58 > full OS.
59
60 Painful though it might seem, I'd suggest you go back to the Gentoo
61 handbook and do a bit of revision. It's been moved to the Gentoo wiki
62 at https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:Main_Page.
63
64 I'd recommend you then just to reinstall. Remembering my fights with
65 stupid error messages from emerge, and so on, I wish I'd just
66 reinstalled months earlier than I did.
67
68 Whatever you end up doing, all the best!
71 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).