From: Sergio Polini <sp_rm_it@×××××.it>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to shred without deleting /dev/*
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 13:19:22
1 Michael Kintzios:
2 > There's nothing wrong with dd, but I see no reason to create my own
3 > script to extend the basic dd functionality. I would rather use
4 > shred which does everything I want it to do - if only I can avoid
5 > the deletion if the device node itself.
6
7 Why -u?
8 >From the man page:
9
10 ========
11 Delete FILE(s) if --remove (-u) is specified. The default is not to
12 remove the files because it is common to operate on device files
13 like /dev/hda, and those files usually should not be removed.
14 ========
15
16 BTW, which is your filesystem? From the man page again:
17
18 ========
19 CAUTION: Note that shred relies on a very important assumption:
20 that the filesystem overwrites data in place. This is the traditional
21 way to do things, but many modern filesystem designs do not
22 satisfy this assumption. The following are examples of
23 filesystems on which shred is not effective:
24 * log-structured or journaled filesystems, such as those
25 supplied with AIX and Solaris (and JFS, ReiserFS, XFS, Ext3, etc.)
27
28 HTH
29 Sergio
34 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list