From: LostSon <lostson@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] fbsplash problems
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 16:06:05
1 On Tue, 2005-07-19 at 17:50 +0200, Holly Bostick wrote:
2 > LostSon schreef:
3 > > Hello
4 > > I am trying to get fbsplash to work and am stuck. I have followed the
5 > > directions on the gentoo-wiki site but still no luck. Im using vesafb
6 > > with a 2.6.12-r6 kernel. my grub.conf looks like this
7 > >
8 > > title=Gentoo-2.6.12-r6-fbsplash
9 > > root (hd0,0)
10 > > kernel (hd0,0)/boot/bzImage.new25 root=/dev/hda3
11 > > video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr,1024x768@70 spla$
12 > > initrd (hd0,0)/fbsplash-gentoo-1024x768
13 > >
14 > > It tries to go to it but it just stays in text mode with no splash it
15 > > doesnt even go to 1024x768. I get this when booting
16 > >
17 > > Kernel command line: root=/dev/hda3 video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr,1024x768@70
18 > > splash=silent,theme:gentoo quiet CONSOLE=/dev/tty1
19 > >
20 > > Im not sure what that means though. Any ideas, thanks.
21 >
22 > That means, afaik, that there is an error in the syntax of that specific
23 > line, and you need to fix it, as GRUB can't figure out or even guess
24 > what the heck you mean.
25 >
26 > For reference, here's my kernel command line (splash does work for me):
27 >
28 > kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hda5
29 > video=vesafb-tng:ywrap,mtrr,pmipal,1280x1024-32@60
30 > splash=silent,theme:emergence quiet CONSOLE=/dev/tty1
31 >
32 > The (main) difference I see is that you have no bit depth specified in
33 > your video= command, but perhaps vesafb doesn't need one. I also see
34 > that I'm using pmipal and you aren't but since I don't even know what
35 > that is anyway, I'll assume it's not important.
36 >
37 > So what I'm wondering is-- you're asking for vesafb in the command line,
38 > but is that actually the framebuffer that you've selected in the kernel
39 > (in menuconfig, Device Drivers section =>Graphics support, what is the
40 > actual name of the vesa framebuffer being built)?
41 >
42 > Mine looks like
43 >
44 > VESA VGA graphics support
45 >
46 > VESA driver type (vesafb-tng) --->
47 >
48 > Does it actually say 'vesafb' between your parentheses (as I believe
49 > that vesafb-tng is the default if you enable VESA VGA graphics support)?
50 >
51 > Also what version of splashutils, did you recently upgrade the kernel
52 > from 2.6.11, and if so, did you re-generate the splash initrd (there's
53 > an einfo to this effect in the recent splashutils ebuilds)?
54 >
55 > HTH,
56 > Holly
57
58 Ok i tried adding that in my line but still no luck alot of what im
59 getting is errors about not being able to load config files and fd0 or
60 fb0 it goes by so fast and i cannot find these error messages in any of
61 my logs either. Im using splashutils-1.1.9.7 btw, thanks
62 --
63 LostSon
64
65 http://www.lostsonsvault.org