From: Anthony Metcalf <nevyn@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] suggest not-net-hungry Linux
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 15:14:29
1 Andrew Gaydenko wrote:
2 > No, no, no!... I was, is and am going to be on Gentoo. Just want to install
3 > Linux to my friend's PC. I can download installation CD iso (or two), but
4 > the main problem is, that PC during next few months will have dialup
5 > connection (33600) only. As a result, I need to choose Linux with minimal
6 > net traffic in mind (just security updates will be sufficient). There are
7 > no any special demands (OOo, images and PDF viewer, Firefox, Thunderbird
8 > and Krusader (or other two panel file manager) will be a sufficient apps
9 > set for beginning, + booting to level 5).
10 >
11 > Suggestions?
12 >
13 > P.S. You see, there is a little sense to address this question to, say, suse
14 > or ubuntu or other candidate's community :-) - so, excuse please for OT.
17 > Andrew
20 Gentoo is only net-hungry on the install and on updates.....If you can
21 do the install before he goes net-free, then your fine, glsa-check
22 should cover you for the updates....
23
24 I would assume that in most cases source tarballs will be smaller than
25 binaries to download too :)
28 Please consider encrypting private mails - PGP Key ID 0x91F57667
29 http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?search=0x91F57667&op=index