From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] DPMS not working with fbdev driver on Xorg
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2016 16:39:59
1 On Sunday 17 Apr 2016 13:23:35 Sebastián Pedersen wrote:
2 > On 17-04-2016 12:43 PM, Dale wrote:
3 > > Sebastián Pedersen wrote:
4 > >> Hi guys,
5 > >>
6 > >> Sorry to bother because I'm actually using Arch, but since in the past
7 > >> this list has given to me outstandings solutions, I git a try here.
8 > >>
9 > >> I'm having a problem: in Xorg, with the vesa driver the DPMS works
10 > >> just fine, but with the fbdev driver (framebuffer) the screen goes
11 > >> blank but the monitor never enters in powersave mode.
12 > >> And the only configuration that I modify is the video driver in use.
13
14 Modern kernels do not need vesa, other than a fallback if the main drivers for
15 the card fail.
18 > >> My main problem is that the vesa driver doens't work very well with my
19 > >> video card, so that's why I use the fbdev driver.
20
21 You should instead be using the appropriate driver for your card, along with
22 the correct firmware, so that it can load the framebuffer sub-module as it
23 needs to.
24
25 > >> Any ideas why this happend?
26 > >>
27 > >> Many thanks in advance.
28 > >>
29 > >> Cheers,
30 > >> Sebas
31 > >
32 > > Since this is video related, are you in the video group? Several other
33 > > video issues have popped up recently that seem to require users in the
34 > > video group. It's easy enough to check. This should work.
35 > >
36 > > cat /etc/group | grep video
37 > >
38 > > If that doesn't help, I'm sure someone will come along with other
39 > > ideas.
40 > >
41 > > Dale
42 > >
43 > > :-) :-)
44 >
45 > Thanks. I'm in the video group.
46 >
47 > Yeah, hope someone can help.
48 > I would like it to work because comsuption of electricity is a variable
49 > to control for me right now.
50 >
51 > Thanks any way.
52 >
53 > Sebas
54
55 Have you have a look in your dmesg and your Xorg.0.log to see what they
56 report? Is the firmware for the card specified correctly and does it load?
59 Regards,
60 Mick