From: allan gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] "systemd sysv-utils blocker resolution"
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2018 15:26:39
1 On Sat, Feb 10 2018, Rich Freeman wrote:
2
3 > On Sat, Feb 10, 2018 at 10:02 PM, allan gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
4 >> On Sat, Feb 10 2018, Rich Freeman wrote:
5 >>
6 >>>
7 >>> Interesting. Does /sbin/reboot exist?
8 >>
9 >> gottlieb@E6430 ~ $ ls -l /sbin/reboot
10 >> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 Jan 28 13:08 /sbin/reboot -> ../bin/systemctl
11 >>
12 >>> What does "qfile /sbin/reboot" return?
13 >>
14 >> gottlieb@E6430 ~ $ qfile /sbin/reboot
15 >> sys-apps/systemd (/sbin/reboot)
16 >
17 > Ok, your systemd is built with USE=sysv-utils.
18 >
19 >>> Ultimately it comes down to whether you care about the compatibility
20 >>> symlinks. It probably isn't a bad idea to have them though. Maybe
21 >>> some day you'll install a UPS and its shutdown scripts will just call
22 >>> shutdown/poweroff/etc and not work. Software that shuts down using
23 >>> either systemctl or dbus would be fine.
24 >>
25 >> Since you lean toward having the symlinks, why is the new default for
26 >> the use flag on? Upstream?
27 >
28 > When the flag is on the symlinks are created. They're only missing
29 > (from systemd) when the flag is off.
30 >
31 >> Also why do I have the symlinks with the 236-r5 system, contracting the
32 >> news item. (This is true for both machines.)
33 >
34 > You have them because the default is USE=sysv-utils, which installs
35 > the symlinks.
36 >
37 > The real question is why euse didn't show you has having the flag
38 > enabled. That I'm not sure about. It shows it as enabled on my
39 > system. I'd have to dig into where it is getting its data and how
40 > this might get out of sync.
41 >
42 > To avoid a second email - a lack of depcleaning might explain why
43 > software like openrc/netifrc is still installed. I don't believe it
44 > has anything to do with the output of euse.
45
46 Thank you (and dale) again.
47 allan