From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] "systemd sysv-utils blocker resolution"
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2018 03:30:35
1 On Sat, Feb 10, 2018 at 10:02 PM, allan gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
2 > On Sat, Feb 10 2018, Rich Freeman wrote:
5 >> Interesting. Does /sbin/reboot exist?
6 >
7 > gottlieb@E6430 ~ $ ls -l /sbin/reboot
8 > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 Jan 28 13:08 /sbin/reboot -> ../bin/systemctl
9 >
10 >> What does "qfile /sbin/reboot" return?
11 >
12 > gottlieb@E6430 ~ $ qfile /sbin/reboot
13 > sys-apps/systemd (/sbin/reboot)
14
15 Ok, your systemd is built with USE=sysv-utils.
16
17 >> Ultimately it comes down to whether you care about the compatibility
18 >> symlinks. It probably isn't a bad idea to have them though. Maybe
19 >> some day you'll install a UPS and its shutdown scripts will just call
20 >> shutdown/poweroff/etc and not work. Software that shuts down using
21 >> either systemctl or dbus would be fine.
22 >
23 > Since you lean toward having the symlinks, why is the new default for
24 > the use flag on? Upstream?
25
26 When the flag is on the symlinks are created. They're only missing
27 (from systemd) when the flag is off.
28
29 > Also why do I have the symlinks with the 236-r5 system, contracting the
30 > news item. (This is true for both machines.)
31
32 You have them because the default is USE=sysv-utils, which installs
33 the symlinks.
34
35 The real question is why euse didn't show you has having the flag
36 enabled. That I'm not sure about. It shows it as enabled on my
37 system. I'd have to dig into where it is getting its data and how
38 this might get out of sync.
39
40 To avoid a second email - a lack of depcleaning might explain why
41 software like openrc/netifrc is still installed. I don't believe it
42 has anything to do with the output of euse.
45 Rich