From: Matt Harrison <iwasinnamuknow@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: vmware opengl
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2011 21:19:26
1 On 07/06/2011 21:40, Matt Harrison wrote:
2 > On 07/06/2011 20:34, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 >> On 06/07/2011 09:43 PM, Matt Harrison wrote:
4 >>> Hi list,
5 >>>
6 >>> I have to run windows most of the time on my main desktop for work
7 >>> reasons, but every now and then I install a gentoo guest on vmware to
8 >>> see how the latest DMs are coming along.
9 >>>
10 >>> The current KDE4 is vastly improved from last time, extremely responsive
11 >>> and everything is really nice...except that I cannot get opengl working
12 >>> for compositing.
13 >>>
14 >>> The virtual machine has acceleration enabled, everything relevant has
15 >>> opengl compiled. I'm not very experienced with X/opengl/etc so I'm not
16 >>> sure what else needs to be done.
17 >>>
18 >>> glxinfo gives me:
19 >>>
20 >>> name of display: :0
21 >>> Error: couldn't find RGB GLX visual or fbconfig
22 >>>
23 >>> I'm not sure if it's even possible to get opengl working here...but I
24 >>> assume it is as a mythbuntu vm works perfectly displaying live tv etc.
25 >>>
26 >>> Anyway, any tips on this subject appreciated. It's hard to find anything
27 >>> on google related to this.
28 >>
29 >> You need to use the vmware DRM kernel driver and vmwgfx Gallium driver.
30 >> Only then can you have accelerated 3D in Linux guests.
31 >>
32 >> The DRM driver is easily enabled in the kernel configuration (it's in
33 >> the "staging drivers" section). Not sure about the vmwgfx gallium driver
34 >> though.
35 >
36 > The DRM driver compiles and loads, the next step is to build the vmwgfx
37 > module from mesa. There is a post on the vmware forums with a user who
38 > talks about "tweaking the ebuild" for mesa to get the module built.
39 > Unfortunately that's all the info he gives.
40 >
41 > Plus, the rest of the post ends with people pretty much giving up on the
42 > whole project. It sounds like vmware aren't really interested in
43 > continuing development for it...shame.
44
45 Well I eventually managed to get the vmwgfx gallium driver to compile,
46 but I get an undefined symbol when trying to load it with xorg. I'll
47 give up with it now unless anyone else has an idea. It was a nice
48 thought that I might get to see the power of vmware opengl :P