From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Are runlevels 3 4 5 the same?
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 05:56:03
1 Adam wrote:
2 > On 04/18/10 15:21, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> Adam wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> I want to choose console or X from grub, so i'm thinking i'll do
7 >>> something like 'rc-update delete xdm 4' and then pass softlevel=4 to my
8 >>> grub boot line, to make runlevel 4 a console runlevel. Is that the right
9 >>> way to do it?
10 >>>
11 >>>
12 >>>
13 >> Gentoo doesn't use those runlevels. You need to read this:
14 >>
15 >> man rc-update
16 >>
17 >> Gentoo comes with the following runlevels:
18 >>
19 >> root@smoker ~ # ls /etc/runlevels/
20 >> total 5
21 >> drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 152 Jun 11 2008 .
22 >> drwxr-xr-x 81 root root 4832 Apr 18 00:16 ..
23 >> drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 368 Jun 11 2008 boot
24 >> drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 512 Apr 9 20:05 default
25 >> drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 72 Jun 11 2008 nonetwork
26 >> root@smoker ~ #
27 >>
28 >> It generally boots to default. You can change that on the kernel boot
29 >> line but with one of the above instead of a 4 as you posted.
30 >>
31 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2&chap=4
32 >
33 > So gentoo does use the numerical runlevels (because that's what init
34 > uses) as well as the gentoo runlevels you've shown. It looks like it
35 > just maps the numbers to the names in inittab;
36 >
37 > l0:0:wait:/sbin/rc shutdown
38 > l0s:0:wait:/sbin/halt -dhp
39 > l1:1:wait:/sbin/rc single
40 > l2:2:wait:/sbin/rc nonetwork
41 > l3:3:wait:/sbin/rc default
42 > l4:4:wait:/sbin/rc default
43 > l5:5:wait:/sbin/rc default
44 > l6:6:wait:/sbin/rc reboot
45 > l6r:6:wait:/sbin/reboot -dk
46 >
47 > so, i guess this means i should point l4 to a custom runlevel in
48 > /etc/runlevels that is the same as default with the exception that xdm
49 > is removed... I'm assuming the linux kernel wont understand the gentoo
50 > named runlevels, and therefore using those names in grub wouldnt work.
54 If you want to boot to the single runlevel, just add softlevel=single to
55 the end of the boot line in grub. You can do this in the config or edit
56 the boot line when grub comes up and it should work fine. I have never
57 used the number runlevels. It may work but I have never done it that
58 way so I can't really say one way or the other.
59
60 You can also create custom runlevels if you need them. I created one a
61 while back to play with and I just added the directory and added the
62 services I wanted in there. That should work fine. There may be other
63 ways to create them as well.
64
65 Also, you can use eselect to manage this as well. The module is called
66 rc. I don't use it but that is the up and coming way to do it.
67
68 Dale
69