From: "b.n." <brullonulla@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] checking for.....
Date: Fri, 02 May 2008 19:05:20
1 Brandon Mintern ha scritto:
2 > I had thought the same thing myself some time ago, and I discovered
3 > that there had been work on a FEATURE called confcache. I believe it
4 > was abandoned, though, due to major difficulties. This is merely a
5 > guess, but I think some of the problems arise in that some of the
6 > things that are checked for actually change as a package is installed
7 > or updated (e.g. checking gcc version). This means that each package
8 > being installed would have to somehow flag confcache and indicate that
9 > it has changed, and confcache would have to keep a list of all these
10 > cached values and their dependencies.
11
12 What was the problem with that? Ebuilds of stuff like gcc could be
13 tailored to flag confcache. Otherwise, emerge could do the relevant
14 checks before emerging the first package, and be trained to do them
15 again after a known "troublesome" package has been emerged.
16
17 I understand this requires coordination and maintaining, of course, and
18 that's the non-trivial part, I guess. However, are there many packages
19 affecting common configure checks? If they are, say, less than 10
20 affecting 80% of configure flags, it seems worth the hassle. If troubles
21 arise, one can quickly try with confcache disabled, and debug.
22
23 Heck, I'd help with it myself, if only I had some confidence with
24 portage code and C compilation (However, I know Python, FWIW)
25
26 m.
30 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list