From: Brandon Mintern <bmintern@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] checking for.....
Date: Thu, 01 May 2008 19:21:10
1 On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 3:11 PM, <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 > In the middle of doing a major upgrade from very old pkgs to current
3 > 2008 and compiling lots and lots of stuff.
4 >
5 > Seeing that line `checking for WHATEVER' go by 486,211 times so far
6 > makes me wonder if there wouldn't be someway to cache all those
7 > answers somewhere so whatever test is done for each line could be
8 > dispensed with for most of them. Probably would need more than 2-3
9 > compiles to have all but rare ones answered.
10 >
11 > Some items really check a lot of things.
12 >
13 > I think it would be a major time saver when discussing huge numbers
14 > of compiles.
17 > --
18 > gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list
19
20 I had thought the same thing myself some time ago, and I discovered
21 that there had been work on a FEATURE called confcache. I believe it
22 was abandoned, though, due to major difficulties. This is merely a
23 guess, but I think some of the problems arise in that some of the
24 things that are checked for actually change as a package is installed
25 or updated (e.g. checking gcc version). This means that each package
26 being installed would have to somehow flag confcache and indicate that
27 it has changed, and confcache would have to keep a list of all these
28 cached values and their dependencies.
29
30 I think there might be potential, however, for something that cached
31 some of the more common system checks such as number of command line
32 arguments. Then again, if many of these configuration items are
33 discovered through a simple system call or by running a quick command,
34 I'm not sure how much faster something like confcache would actually
35 be.
36 --
37 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list