From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] openoffice 2.0 - compiling or binary
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 14:30:42
1 On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 08:30:24 -0500, Ernie Schroder wrote:
2
3 > I've installed OO both ways in the past and stability hasn't been an
4 > issue. The only thing I noticed is that the compiled version opens
5 > faster than the binary version. As I remember, the difference was
6 > roughly 7 seconds. It seems like an eternity these days but if I weigh
7 > that 7 seconds against the time it took to compile, I would have to
8 > open the application around 4,100 times to make the 8 hours it took to
9 > compile worth my while.
10
11 Except that you don't sit and watch it compile (unless you are
12 exceptionally sad :) whereas the extra time taken to load when you are
13 trying to do something seems like an eternity.
17 Neil Bothwick
18
19 Q. How many mice does it take to screw in a light bulb?
20 A. Only two - but it's difficult to get them in there.