From: Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: line wrap over in xterm/konsole
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2019 20:04:24
1 On Fri, Jun 21, 2019 at 8:37 PM Grant Taylor
2 <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net> wrote:
3 >
4 > On 6/21/19 12:03 PM, Mick wrote:
5
6 > > However, lines do not wrap around when I resize the xterm window. :(
7 >
8 > I've never seen this work inside of XTerm.
11 > XTerm (and many other consoles) only display the output as it was given
12 > to them. They don't change the output when the window changes. So if
13 > they are given 80 characters of text on one line and 35 on the next
14 > line, XTerm (et al.) display those two lines of text, even on a wider
15 > window.
16 >
17 > XTerm is not aware (cognizant of the fact) that the 80 characters and
18 > the 35 characters are related to each other.
19 >
20 > If you resize the window smaller, XTerm drops the characters between the
21 > new width and the old width that it had. It no longer has them to
22 > display when you widen the window back out.
23 >
24 My xterm wraps & resizes just fine (e.g., a long line wraps; on
25 maximizing the window, contents are redrawn and use just one line, if
26 it fits). I don't think I did anything special for this to work. Maybe
27 it's window manager related? I use openbox. My USE variables for xterm
28 are the same as Mick's.
29
30 Jorge Almeida