From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Linus Torvalds on systemd
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2014 18:31:13
1 On Sat, Sep 20, 2014 at 8:46 AM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
2 >> • "There's still value in understanding the traditional UNIX "do one
3 >> thing and do it well" model where many workflows can be done as a
4 >> pipeline of simple tools each adding their own value, but let's face
5 >> it, it's not how complex systems really work, and it's not how major
6 >> applications have been working or been designed for a long time. It's
7 >> a useful simplification, and it's still true at *some* level, but I
8 >> think it's also clear that it doesn't really describe most of
9 >> reality."
12 > He doesn't make an actual argument why useful abstraction cannot be done
13 > in complex systems.
14
15 He doesn't need to; he's not trying to convince anyone of anything.
16 The reported asked:
17
18 "Systemd seems to depart to a large extent from the original idea of
19 simplicity that was a hallmark of UNIX systems. Would you agree? And
20 is this a good or a bad thing?"
21
22 Linus just answered the question. As for arguments, I think (and of
23 course I could be wrong) he would say "code talks; go on and make a
24 complex system with 'useful' abstractions, and then we'll talk". And
25 BTW, a complex system with "useful" abstractions was the whole idea of
26 HAL, I think.
27
28 Regards.
29 --
30 Canek Peláez Valdés
31 Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias