From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Linus Torvalds on systemd
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2014 12:45:23
1 Canek Peláez Valdés:
2 > On Sat, Sep 20, 2014 at 8:46 AM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
3 >>> • "There's still value in understanding the traditional UNIX "do one
4 >>> thing and do it well" model where many workflows can be done as a
5 >>> pipeline of simple tools each adding their own value, but let's face
6 >>> it, it's not how complex systems really work, and it's not how major
7 >>> applications have been working or been designed for a long time. It's
8 >>> a useful simplification, and it's still true at *some* level, but I
9 >>> think it's also clear that it doesn't really describe most of
10 >>> reality."
11 >>>
12 >>
13 >> He doesn't make an actual argument why useful abstraction cannot be done
14 >> in complex systems.
15 >
16 > He doesn't need to;
17
18 Sure he does. He made a statement that needs technical arguments (not
19 stuff like "people do it these days") and didn't even answer the
20 reporters question.
21
22 I think this is not a problem about complex systems, but rather about
23 development models.
24
25 But no wonder a C programmer in one of the highest commit rate projects
26 in the world thinks like that. And it's probably even true in that CASE.