From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] GMail calling has an echo in Linux, but not Windows
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 21:16:25
1 On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 2:43 PM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de> wrote:
2 > On 12/18/2011 09:21 PM, Jason Weisberger wrote:
3 >>
4 >>  > Can you hear yourself through the speakers when talking into the
5 >> microphone?  If yes, that means you need to disable the loopback in
6 >> alsamixer.
7 >>
8 >> I cannot hear myself, the person on the other end can hear themselves.
11 > Still looks like loopback is active.  Try to find a slider called "Capture"
12 > in alsamixer and mute it.  There might also be a setting called "input"
13 > which can be set to i2c, i2s, mix, etc.  Play with these.  I had the same
14 > problem with a Soundblaster Live 24-bit, and the problem was that it was set
15 > "mix", which is a setting that allows you to record whatever is currently
16 > playing.  It's a good thing to have, but as you can imagine, screws with
17 > voice communications, because you're recording not only your own voice, but
18 > also the voice of the other person and sending it back right to them.
19 >
20 > It's also possible to set this in KMix, but I don't know if you're using
21 > KDE.
22
23 Another option is to use a small USB sound device. My headphones came
24 with one, for example. They can be really nice for reducing electrical
25 noise in the capture channel, too.
26
27 They also occasionally crop up where you might not expect them. I
28 picked up an HP 'travel' USB hub some time back, and was surprised to
29 discover it had a built-in NIC, mic input and stereo out.
32 :wq