From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] h
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 13:47:46
1 On Friday 27 June 2008, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 10:44:00 +0100, Stroller wrote:
3 > > > I'm sure the NSA would be happy to forego the prize and keep
4 > > > quiet about
5 > > > being able to break a secure cipher.
6 > >
7 > > I can't help wondering if - since P=NP is such a big problem - the
8 > > advantages of having this knowledge in the public domain might
9 > > override the advantages of mere spying.
10 >
11 > I'm sure the holy grail for the NSA is a cipher that everyone thinks
12 > is totally secure but they can break. These agencies aren't
13 > interested in the greater good, only furthering their own goals.
14
15 This is the spooks we are talking about so I'm sure Neil is right and
16 they are having wet dreams about this very thing.
17
18 All I can say is, thank $DEITY for open/free software and open
19 algorithms.
22 Alan McKinnon
23 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
26 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list