From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Heads-up; bash now uses "readline" USE flag
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 03:21:52
1 On Sep 11, 2012 5:58 AM, "Neil Bothwick" <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 15:19:38 -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
4 >
5 > > > I'd rather have that that an unusable shell. As was noted elsewhere
6 > > > this weekend, even if a USE flag is set but renamed, -* screws it
7 > > > up.
8 > >
9 > > So no matter what I do or don't do, a developer can find a way to
10 > > screw me up.
11 >
12 > Yes, but since the devs know far more about the workings of the system
13 > and the interrelationships of its components than I do, I prefer to work
14 > with them than against them.
15 >
16 > I prefer to start with a known, working profile and tweak it. Rather than
17 > deliberately break everything and then apply my own fixes just to avoid
18 > the odd chance anyone else accidentally breaking it for me.
21 +1 to this.
22
23 In my previous employment, I used Gentoo in production environment. There's
24 a gaggle of USE flags in make.conf, mostly of the "-" variety.
25
26 But I stay clear of "-*" ... that thing's too eeevil for me... :-)
27
28 Rgds,