From: Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How do I get larger fonts in X ?
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 21:29:18
1 On Mon, Aug 15, 2005 at 12:24:22AM -0700, George Garvey wrote:
2 > On Sun, Aug 14, 2005 at 11:28:44PM -0700, Zac Medico wrote:
3 > > Although it seems like your X dpi setting should match the physical
4 > > resolution of your monitor, it can be used to tweak font sizes. There is
5 > > an X -dpi command line setting documented in the Xserver manpage and a
6 > > DisplaySize directive that can go in your xorg.conf file. The xdpyinfo
7 >
8 > But his stated aim is to increase font sizes, and use gimp at a
9 > higher resolution. Changing the DPI would mess up his expectations
10 > about gimp, as I understood them. He might as well stick to the lower
11 > resolution he prefers.
12
13 The question is precisely whether his X dpi matches his physical dpi.
14 I used to have a similar problem when I tried to run 1280 x 1024 on my
15 laptop and get itsy-bitsy fonts.
16
17 Then I took a ruler and measured the monitor and set the DisplaySize
18 in the Monitor section of xorg.conf and now the fonts becomes readable
19 again.
20
21 > I have a similar problem, due to a large monitor size coupled with
22 > 2304x1440 resolution. Font sizes for most X programs can be changed,
23 > including widow managers. Most of the web sites out there refuse to
24 > respect settings about font sizes put in browsers, though. It is
25 > annoying. Only thing I know to do is change zoom factors (and Firefox
26 > doesn't make that easy as far as I know: Opera did), squint and hope
27 > you don't ruin your eyes, or change X resolutions on the fly
28 > (Ctl-Alt-+, etc.).
29 --
30 SCIENCE: BREAD IS DANGEROUS
31
32 1. More than 98 percent of convicted felons are
33 bread users.
34
35 2. Fully HALF of all children who grow up in bread-
36 consuming households score below average on
37 standardized tests.
38
39 3. In the 18th century, when virtually all bread was
40 baked in the home, the average life expectancy
41 was less than 50 years; infant mortality rates were
42 unacceptably high; many women died in childbirth;
43 and diseases such as typhoid, yellow fever, and
44 influenza ravaged whole nations.
45
46 4. More than 90 percent of violent crimes are committed
47 within 24 hours of eating bread.
48
49 5. Bread has been proven to be addictive. Subjects
50 deprived of bread and given only water to eat, begged
51 for bread after as little as two days.
52
53 6. Bread is often a "gateway" food item, leading the
54 user to "harder" items such as butter, jelly, peanut
55 butter, and even cream cheese.
56
57 7. Bread has been proven to absorb water. Since the
58 human body is more than 90 percent water, it follows
59 that eating bread could lead to your body being taken
60 over by this absorptive food product, turning you into
61 a soggy, gooey, bread-pudding person.
62
63 8. Newborn babies can choke on bread.
64
65 9. Bread is baked at temperatures as high as 450
66 degrees Fahrenheit! That kind of heat can kill an
67 adult in less than two minutes.
68
69 10. Most American bread eaters are utterly unable
70 to distinguish between significant scientific fact
71 and meaningless statistical babbling.
72 Sortir en Pantoufles: up 4 days, 24 min
73 --
74 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list