From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How do I get larger fonts in X ?
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 02:14:17
1 On Mon, Aug 15, 2005 at 05:24:40PM -0400, Willie Wong wrote
2
3 > The question is precisely whether his X dpi matches his physical dpi.
4 > I used to have a similar problem when I tried to run 1280 x 1024 on my
5 > laptop and get itsy-bitsy fonts.
6 >
7 > Then I took a ruler and measured the monitor and set the DisplaySize
8 > in the Monitor section of xorg.conf and now the fonts becomes readable
9 > again.
10
11 Thanks. That was it, at least for menus. Here are a couple of lines
12 from my revised xorg.conf
13
14 # DisplaySize 400 300
15 DisplaySize 328 246
16
17 400 mm x 300 mm gives approx a 19 inch diagonal. I lied to X, telling
18 it that I have a smaller CRT. X uses bigger fonts to remain readable on
19 the "smaller CRT", and I like it. Non-menu fonts for apps have to be
20 set individually. For Firefox, it's...
21
22 Edit => Preferences => General => Fonts & Colors
23
24 The one part I haven't figured out is xterm. If I {ALT-RIGHT-CLICK}
25 in an xterm, I get a menu that will alter font sizes. How do I change
26 the default font size that xterm comes up with?
29 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
30 My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca
31 --
32 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list