From: Alon Bar-Lev <alonbl@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Systemd upower
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2014 22:07:02
1 On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 12:59 AM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 4:40 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > [...]
5 > > Incidentally, what exactly is wrong with systemd writing a dhcp server &
6 > > client, and an ntp client? Is that project prohibited from writing such
7 > > software? Are they not allowed to do it? Does it break legal laws? Is
8 > > there an NDA or non-compete clause in the mix that I'm not aware of?
9 > > Because they are the only things that could stop systemd from writing
10 > > such code; without such prohibitions they are free to spend their time
11 > > doing whatever they damn well please and if that means yet another dhcp
12 > > implementation, so be it.
13 >
14 > Alan, thanks for succinctly putting why is absurd to complain about
15 > someone else's desire to write whatever code she desires to write. And
16 > to sharing it to the world! The HORROR!
17 >
18 > How *DARE* they to release their code? For free!
21 Once again, you do not understand the claim.
22
23 If a user of Gentoo chooses to use non systemd profile, it means that
24 we need to make sure systemd will not be a valid option, ever.
25
26 In this case, if it is to disable the upower USE flag, or to provide
27 alternative, block newer version, whatever make it possible to have a
28 system working without systemd.
29
30 systemd should not be visible at any time, nor its implications.
31
32 Alon