From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Disable IPv6 on an interface?
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 21:02:11
1 On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 11:50 AM, Grant Edwards
2 <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > After putting the above line in sysctl.conf (and removing my preup()
4 > function), everything worked as expected except that I had to manually
5 > start the interface with the command "/etc/init.d/net.eth2 start".
6 >
7 > Google told me to fix that by using rc-update to add net.eth2 to the
8 > default runlevel.
9 >
10 > Everything's tickety-boo now, but I don't remember have to do that
11 > last step in the past when I added a network interface -- all I had to
12 > do was create the symlink from net.<whatever> to net.lo.
13 >
14 > Is the rc-update runlevel stuff new?
15
16 AFAIR you've had to do it that way forever... but it's not exactly
17 something I set up every day.
18
19 Maybe if you used ifplugd, wicd, networkmanager etc. it works differently.