From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Installing on nvme - not all beer and skittles....
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2018 16:44:20
1 On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 11:38 AM, Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au> wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 > I have an existing Gentoo install that I've "customised" a bit too much
4 > and things are getting flaky. I've in turn taken the opportunity to
5 > purchase an nvme, a Samsung 960 Pro, and do a fresh install. Instead of
6 > using the install media I've just booted the existing install, mounted
7 > the nvme and then treated the install as though it's coming from a boot
8 > disk.
9 >
10 > I've followed, I think, correctly the install process but when I
11 > reboot, I get the following:
12 >
13 > "Reboot and Select proper Boot device
14 > or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"
15 >
16 > Overlooking the freaky capitalisation, the machine fires up and then
17 > leaves me with the above on the screen and that's it. I need to hit the
18 > power button to kill the machine and reboot, using the boot order, F12,
19 > option to now boot the existing installation.
20 >
21 > This is a new machine with a x470 Gigabyte motherboard, 64GB of memory
22 > and a nearly top end Ryzen CPU. Does anyone know of any little "tips and
23 > tricks" to ensure that the nvme will be seen and boot? As it is, Grub
24 > isn't even being seen....
25 >
26 > Andrew
27 >
28 > p.s. I'll also wait until the github situation has been resolved.
31 How did you install the bootloader? Is your board switched to legacy
32 mode if that is what you are using? If using UEFI do you have both
33 BIOS and UEFI boot flags set?
34
35 The error you gave is what the motherboard firmware would display if
36 it can't find any bootable drives. Some firmware (like Apple's) will
37 only boot a UEFI partition if the enclosing protective MBR also has
38 the partition marked as bootable.
39
40 Cheers,
41 R0b0t1