From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] netfilter tarpit target
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2007 18:50:50
1 On Sunday 01 April 2007 14:03, Daniel Iliev wrote:
2 > Hi, guys
3 >
4 > Recently I was looking through my logs when I got pissed off (again) by
5 > the big number of lines showing something like 'sshd: auth. error:
6 > unknown user "XXX" from "some IP address"'. I wrote a script which
7 > automatically sets all connections from those IP addresses to be
8 > dropped. Next I decided to change "-j DROP" with "-j TARPIT" and I
9 > realized that gentoo-sources doesn't provide the netfilter target "TARPIT".
10 >
11 > My question: what is the best way get this iptables module working w/o
12 > diverting too much from the official Gentoo installation. I mean the
13 > normal way is to use patch-o-matic to patch iptables source and vanilla
14 > kernel source, then build and install. I have the feeling that it is not
15 > exactly the right thing to with Gentoo.
16 >
17 > Any advices would be much appreciated.
18
19 Given that others have already replied how patch the kernel, here's a somewhat
20 indirect answer which may resolve the route cause: Are you using passwd
21 authentication? I wonder if the logs would still be filling up by such
22 botnets if you had allowed only 'PubkeyAuthentication yes'. The other thing
23 to consider is changing the default ssh port 22 to some other random port
24 which is not hit as frequently by botnets, only by more comprehensive port
25 scans. Then remove your iptables LOG rule for port 22 (if you have one) and
26 you should get rid of almost all related messages.
27
28 HTH.
29 --
30 Regards,